For Father’s Day, I cooked chicken, sausage, & shrimp gumbo. This gumbo was delicious!!! I thought that it would have been more difficult to make, but it actually was pretty easy to make. I stole this recipe from my dad. I hope y’all love it too!
What you’ll need:
- 1 kielbasa sausage link
- 1-2lb cooked chicken breast
- Shrimp (we just used the small life salad shrimps)
- 1 stick of butter
- Chicken Broth
- Seasonings: old bay, and Zatarain’s pure ground jumbo file, garlic salt
- Vegetables: 1 1/2 cup chopped okra (we used the frozen kind), 1 green pepper, 1 chopped onion
- First, you want to prepare the vegetables and meats. Slice the kielbasa, okra, green pepper, and onion. Add the meats and veggies into a large bowl. Next, you can start to boil your chicken on high. Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, then you can slice the chicken and add it to the bowl.
- In a large pot, melt the stick of butter over low heat. Continue to the stir the butter until it is completely melted and starts to darken. Continue to stir the butter, while gradually adding flour to the pot (you can turn the heat up a little for this part). The butter will start to thicken. This whole step took about 5-7 minutes for me.
- Next, add the seasonings to the pot. Add 3-4 teaspoons of old bay and jumbo file to the pan. Add 1 tablespoon of garlic salt. Stir.
- Add the bowl of meats and vegetables to pan.
- Next, pour the box of chicken broth into the pan. I didn’t have enough chicken broth, so I had to use some of the water that the chicken boiled in.
- Turn the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it sit for 1-2 hours (stirring occasionally). In the last 15-30 minutes, you can add the shrimp to the pot to cook.
- Serve over white rice or by itself! Enjoy!!
Contact: Audrey H |email@example.com | Instagram: allaboutaud | Recent posts: