I was never a big fan of zucchini, until I tried these burrito boats. I am all about having healthier options in my diet, so here’s to a low-carb taco! These burrito boats were not difficult to make and the cooks time is about 30 minutes. Something you will learn about me when it comes to cooking, is that I do not measure things out. I generally pick a seasoning that I like, and I add more of it. So I am going to attempt to give you measurements of the ingredients that I used. Check out the recipe below.
What you will need:
- 1/2 of an onion
- 4 zucchinis (I only used 2 and we had a TON of leftover meat)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (I used a Mexican cheese blend)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Seasonings: salt (I used Himalayan), pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and some garlic salt. I would do 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of each seasoning + salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Scoop out the insides of the zucchini and put them to the side. Your zucchini should resemble a little boat now.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the zucchini boats + salt and pepper.
- Bake the zucchini boats int he heated oven for 10 minutes until they start to turn bright green and soften.
- While the zucchini are in the oven, you can start on the burrito stuffing. Over medium heat, heat the rest of the olive oil. Add the option and excess zucchini that you put to the side. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and then add the ground beef. Cook until the ground beed is no longer pink. It took mine about 8 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add in the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic salt) and stir. Next, stir in black beans and diced tomato.
- Lastly, add the burrito stuffing into the zucchini and sprinkle the top with cheese. Place the zucchini boats back into the oven to cook for about 15 minutes. I like to sprinkle some extra cheese on mine when they come out of the oven. Enjoy!